ASHLEY COOKE TAKES A SHOT IN THE DARK WITH THE RELEASE OF THREE NEW SONGS FROM HER HIGHLY ANTICIPATED DEBUT ALBUM
MUST-LISTEN DUET “mean girl (feat. Colbie Caillat)” OUT NOW
NASHVILLE, TENN. – Following Ashley Cooke‘s surprise announcement live from the Grand Ole Opry Stage that her debut album shot in the dark will arrive Friday, July 21, Big Loud’s rising country star begins hernew chapter of music today, giving fans three new tracks off her forthcoming album. The breakout songstress releases the album’s title track, “shot in the dark,” “mean girl (feat. Colbie Caillat)” and “tastes like,” available everywhere now.
“I am so excited to be dropping my debut album at the end of July, and I think these three tracks will give fans a great sneak peek into what’s coming,” shares Cooke. “This album has so many threads of my life strung together across 24 songs, and I hope that everyone can connect with some, or all, of the chapters. The songs I’m releasing today are some of my absolute favorites – from the title track that truly encapsulates where I am in my life, a duet with someone I’ve looked up to musically since I can remember, to ‘tastes like’ that opens the album in a clever way I’m really proud of. I can’t wait to hear how everyone reacts and hope these songs can meet you wherever you are in your journey.”
In title track “shot in the dark,” Cooke sets the album’s tone by highlighting the power of serendipity and the magic that unfolds when you take a chance. Set against the backdrop of a late-night chance encounter, Cooke experiences the rush of an unexpected connection, and perhaps one too many drinks, when two souls collide and everything else fades away.
Also featured on today’s new releases is the captivating collaboration “mean girl (feat. Colbie Caillat)” that finds Cooke taking a bold step forward as she pens a heartfelt warning to the girl dating her ex. Tapping into her own experience with a toxic relationship, Cooke’s vulnerability shines through as she and Caillat deliver their double entendre filled advice about taking his words at face value.
With the energy of a party anthem, “tastes like” surprises listeners with an unexpected lyrical flip where the taste of whiskey becomes a stinging reminder of a former flame. Thoughts of an ex-lover take over as the taste lingers, blending the sweetness of memories with the bitterness of longing. Setting the complex tone for the album, Cooke invites listeners to savor the rich emotional journey that lies ahead.
Unfolding as if it were ripped from pages of her journal, Cooke’s sun-kissed blend of two-lane pop country is on full display in shot in the dark, capturing true tales of love, heartbreak and all the moments in between. The long-awaited debut fearlessly explores the roller coaster of life, inviting listeners to savor every raw and relatable moment. With much more music still on the way ahead of the July 21 album, Cooke’s 24-song collection will be one of the longest debut albums by a female country artist to date.
Continuing another robust year of touring that has included her first overseas performance at C2C, tours with Cole Swindell, Jordan Davis and Brett Young, Cooke gears up to join country megastar Luke Bryan’s Country OnTour this summer, kicking off on July 13 in Hershey, Pa.. Stay up to date with the latest news and more exciting announcements by visiting ashleycooke.com and following along on Instagram, YouTubeand TikTok @theashleycooke.
shot in the dark TRACKLIST
1. “tastes like” (Ashley Cooke, Jordan Minton, Emily Weisband, Corey Crowder)
2. “it’s been a year” (Ashley Cooke, Will Weatherly, Brett Tyler)
3. “see you around” (feat. Nate Smith) (Ashley Cooke, Brett Tyler, Will Bundy)
4. “shot in the dark” (Ashley Cooke, Jordan Minton, Emily Weisband, Corey Crowder)
5. “moving on with grace” (Ashley Cooke, Rocky Block, Jake Mitchell)
6. “getting into” (Ashley Cooke, Emily Weisband, Will Weatherly)
7. “enough to leave” (Ashley Cooke, Matt Roy, Lauren Weintraub)
8. “i almost do” (Ashley Cooke, Trevor Rosen, Josh Osborne)
9. “mean girl” (feat. Colbie Caillat) (Ashley Cooke, Colbie Caillat, Nicolle Galyon, Jimmy Robbins)
10. “running back” (Ashley Cooke, Emily Weisband, Will Weatherly)
11. “good thing going” (Ashley Cooke, Matt Dragstrem, Brett Tyler, Geoff Warburton)
12. “next to you” (Ashley Cooke)
13. “good to be back” (Ashley Cooke, Hunter Phelps, Jameson Rodgers, Alysa Vanderheym)
14. “what are you on fire about” (feat. Jackson Dean) (Lainey Wilson, Jason Nix, Luke Dick)
15. “say no more” (Devin Dawson, Donovan Woods, Travis Wood)
16. “tryin’ to love you” (Ashley Cooke, Hillary Lindsey, Chase McGill, Jimmy Robbins)
17. “back in the saddle” (Josh Kerr, Jordan Reynolds, Jordan Minton)
18. “your place” (Ashley Cooke, Jordan Minton, Mark Trussell)
19. “dirt on ’em” (Ashley Cooke, Jessi Alexander, Aysa Vanderheym)
20. “build a bridge” (Sasha Sloan, Ryan Hurd, Geoff Warburton, Henry Agincourt Allen)
21. “get you” (Ashley Cooke, Jacob Durrett, John Byron)
22. “never til now” (feat. Brett Young) (Ashley Cooke, Matt Roy)
23. “gonna get” (Ashley Cooke, Sasha Sloan, Blake Pendergrass, David Garcia)
24. “state i’m in” (Ashley Cooke, Emily Weisband, Jordan Reynolds)